Teacher of the Year
The Selection Process
The Teacher of the Year designation will alternate yearly between the following categories of teachers:
2012-2013 Secondary Teacher Grades 6-12
2013-2014 Teacher in a Specialty Area Grades K-12
2014-2015 Elementary Teacher Grades K-5
Students, former students, parents, colleagues, administrators, or members of the general public may nominate teachers. An impartial selection committee comprised of the former teacher of the year, a high school student council member, a PTO representative, one representative from each area (Elementary, Secondary, and K-12 Specialty Teacher), a school board member, an administrator, and the superintendent selects the Teacher of the Year from those nominated through a screening process using specific criteria.
This year’s Teacher of the Year will be announced in March. The Teacher of the Year will receive gifts from the Hartford/Humboldt communities TBD.
The Nomination Process
Nomination forms are available on the school district website (www.westcentral.k12.sd.us) and all West Central school buildings, the Administration Office, and area businesses. All nominations must be returned, with all supporting materials and documentation, to
West Central Administration Office
Teacher of the Year Selection Committee
PO Box 730, 705 East Second Street
Hartford, SD 57033
The nominator must secure permission of the nominee to enter his/her name for consideration with the knowledge that finalists may be interviewed by members of the selection committee. The nominated teacher must also submit a portion of the nomination form and meet the eligibility requirements outlined below.
If we receive one completed nomination form for a particular teacher, that teacher is considered “nominated” and will be considered for selection for Teacher of the Year. The number of nominations received for any teacher has little relevance in the selection process with the first such nomination being considered the governing nomination.
We prefer that nominations be typed or reproduced on a computer or word processor, but we will accept (without prejudice) neatly printed applications. Do not use more space than is permitted by the word limit. Please provide to the selection committee a thoroughly completed nomination form; incomplete nominations will not be considered after the deadline for nomination filing. Use specific examples whenever possible in describing the teacher’s contributions in each criterion.
The Eligibility Requirements for Nominees
Teachers who may be nominated for the 2012-2013 Teacher of the Year award are 6-12 Classroom Teachers.
Nominees must be contracted teachers with a minimum of 3 years of teaching experience in the West Central School District, and must be currently teaching in the West Central School District.
Additionally, the teacher should possess and demonstrate consistently:
- The ability to create a love of learning in students of all abilities and backgrounds.
- High expectations for all students.
- A strong sense of values, integrity and professional ethics.
- The ability to learn and experiment with new ideas in order to expand their professional knowledge base.
- Strong human relations/strong cooperative skills with students, parents, colleagues, administration, and the West Central communities.
- Knowledge of subject and curriculum content, of student growth and development, or instruction and assessment.
- Clear understanding of their beliefs and practices.
- Strong communication skills.
- Energy, enthusiasm, a positive attitude, and dependability.
- Commitment to community service.
Time Line for Teacher of the Year
To nominate, please fill out the form below and mail to the address above, or choose the appropriate on-line form.
Friday, February 8th - Nominations due
- February 8th through March 1st - Selection Committee meets to review forms, interview candidates, observe classrooms (if needed), and select Teacher of the Year.
- March - Teacher of the Year announced
- Wednesday, April 17th - Teacher of the Year Regional Form due to ESA 2
- Friday, May 17th - Teacher honored at staff supper; prizes awarded
Teacher of the Year Form (complete printable form) .pdf format
Teacher of the Year Form (complete printable form) .pages format
Nominator On-line Form
Nominated Teacher On-line Form